How to soothe itchy skin
Itchy skin is a problem that affects more of us than will admit it, and so we thought that today we would write with some common-sense advice on how to deal with it.
The NHS website at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/itchy-skin/
writes that itchy skin is not usually a sign of anything serious, and you can often treat it yourself, and it will usually go away after a few weeks. But this is a good article from a very safe website – and its worth a read, especially if your itching has been ongoing for a while.
However, as long as your skin problem is not something that your doctor is concerned about, there are a number of things that you can do to help yourself, as you can read from the list in the NHS article, but it’s with regard to the regular use of a moisturiser that we are writing today.
Many of our customers have told us that they suffer with itchy skin on their legs, ankles and feet and have found that regular use of SkinLikes Skin Repair helps immensely.
Skin Repair is designed to help hard and broken skin but we know that our customers use it for all sorts of other reasons – and with good effect. And so, we thought that it would be of value to highlight some of the attributes of what is a lovely, plant-based, clean, organic skincare product that can be used for moisturising and prevention.
- We use soft water that is so much better for the skin than hard water – read our article about water quality in cosmetics at: https://www.skinlikes.co.uk/water-quality-in-cosmetics-is-your-health-at-risk/
- We don’t use any nasty chemicals that are to be found in so many cosmetic moisturisers these days; just plain, simple, plant-based ingredients that are far less likely to cause an itch or reactions to something that you are allergic to.
- We include, as we do in most of our skincare products Hyaluronic Acid, the samenaturally occurring molecule found in the skin. We add it to our formulations as it is known to be gentle on the skin and its suited for use on a range of skin types. It is non-irritating, safe to use, and absorbed quickly. There are numerous on-line articles written about the fact that it is well known for its benefits, especially taking the edge off dry skin.
- Most importantly, we add a blend of plant-based therapeutic essential oils that are the active ingredients. These oils were tested in university research that we carried out a few years ago, and they have a whole host of benefits to offer to human health as written about in numerous articles that you can obtain on-line and in peer-reviewed papers that you can find at https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
- Mature skin (over 40) is a fact and with this, dry skin (xerosis) is a common dermatological feature in older people. The stratum corneum (outer layer of the skin) loses its’ ability to retain moisture and as a result it is more likely to crack, become itchy and give other problems.
And so, the answer to this (even for men – who often have skin on their feet and legs like parchment), is to every-day to use a good quality moisturiser (Skin Repair). When this becomes the mainstay of your daily routine, you will prevent transepidermal water loss in the skin and the entry of irritants, enjoy skin that is far more supple and responsive, and most importantly reduce the elimination of the risk of itching and the embarrassment when wearing shorts.
To help with this, at our website https://www.skinlikes.co.uk/product/skin-repair-lotion/ you will see our special offer where you can save £5 if you buy two, big 150ml tubes at a time.
Last but not least, it is important for every one of us to keep up our daily fluid intake – and especially so as we age – so we encourage you to read our article about keeping your skin in great condition. https://www.skinlikes.co.uk/softer-water/
Kind regards and best wishes from the team at SkinLikes where we are happy to answer your questions.
Office freephone: 0800 023 6252